Assign an object to multiple collections

Hi! Hoping someone can point out something obvious I’ve missed.

We have a number of samples that have a handful of broad characteristics, e.g. “steel samples” that are “heat treated” and “sectioned for SEM analysis”.

If we make three collections: “steels”, “heat treated”, “SEM samples”, is it possible to have the same sample appear in all three? At the moment it looks like each collection has its own set of objects that are unique.

The idea is that when we have similar samples, e.g. “aluminium”, “heat treated”, “SEM samples”, that the “heat treated” collection would show all the samples that have been heat treated, regardless of material.

We’re running v20.10.8 if that affects anything. Thanks!

Hi James,

it is not clear to me if you are talking about the actual samples or rather sample types.

One sample can belong to only to one collection, so you cannot show the same sample under different collections. This is not the case for sample types. A collection can have samples of different types.

Hello,

Yes, I was referring to the actual samples. Shame it isn’t possible, but thanks for providing a clear answer. I think we will have to get clever with sample names and saved searches then to accomplish what we’re after.

Cheers!